Are you ready for an epic seven-day trip with a campervan?
Embark on an exciting road trip adventure through the breathtaking landscapes of Norway! Here’s some essential distance information for your journey:
- Bergen to Geiranger: While the direct distance between Bergen and Geiranger is around 215 kilometres, the road trip distance extends to approximately 444.2 kilometres. This variation is due to the winding roads and scenic detours along the way, offering you picturesque views of Norway’s stunning countryside.
- Geiranger to Preikestolen: Once you’ve explored the beauty of Geiranger, set off on the next leg of your adventure to Preikestolen. The distance from Geiranger to Preikestolen is approximately 621 kilometers, taking you through some of Norway’s most captivating landscapes and charming towns.
- Preikestolen to Bergen: Conclude your road trip by returning from Preikestolen to Bergen, covering a distance of around 243 kilometers. As you journey back, reminisce about the unforgettable experiences and stunning sights you’ve encountered along the way.
In total, your road trip adventure will span approximately 1308.2 kilometers, offering you the opportunity to immerse yourself in the natural beauty and diverse landscapes of Norway. Get ready for an unforgettable journey filled with adventure, scenic drives, and memorable moments!
If you rent 7 days with Campervan Bergen, you will have 1400km included in your trip.
Day 1- Bergen
Get ready to embark on an unforgettable journey, starting with Day 1 in the beautiful city of Bergen. Known for its UNESCO-listed Bryggen and iconic wooden buildings, Bergen is the perfect place to kick off your adventure.
Discover the Charm of Bryggen
Begin your day by exploring the historic Bryggen district. As you wander through the narrow alleyways, you’ll be transported back in time to the days of the Hanseatic League. Marvel at the iconic wooden buildings that line the waterfront and soak in the unique atmosphere of this UNESCO World Heritage site.
Uncover History at Bergenhus Fortress
Next, make your way to Bergenhus Fortress, a medieval fortress that has stood guard over the city for centuries. Explore the grounds and discover the fascinating history of Bergen. From the Rosenkrantz Tower to the Haakon’s Hall, there’s plenty to see and learn about in this historical landmark.
Ride the Fløibanen Funicular
No trip to Bergen is complete without a ride on the Fløibanen funicular. Hop on board and ascend to the top of Mount Fløyen for breathtaking views of the city and its surrounding mountains. Snap some Instagram-worthy photos and take a moment to appreciate the natural beauty that surrounds you.
After a day of exploring, it’s time to find a cozy spot to park your campervan for the night. Luckily, Bergen offers several options for overnight camping. Whether you prefer a campground with all the amenities or a secluded spot in nature, you’ll find the perfect place to rest and recharge for the next day of your adventure.
As you settle in for the night, take a moment to reflect on the beauty and history you’ve experienced in Bergen. Tomorrow, you’ll continue your journey to new destinations, but for now, enjoy the tranquility of the campervan life and get ready for the excitement that awaits you on Day 2.
Day 2: Gudvangen
Gudvangen beckons with its picturesque setting nestled amidst majestic mountains and stunning fjords. Here’s how to make the most of your time in this enchanting village:
- Scenic Drive: Begin your day with a scenic drive to Gudvangen, relishing in the awe-inspiring landscapes that Norway is renowned for. Wind your way through the dramatic terrain, soaking in panoramic views of rugged mountains and serene fjords.
- Explore the Village: Upon arrival, take a leisurely stroll through the charming streets of Gudvangen. Admire the traditional Norwegian architecture and immerse yourself in the peaceful ambiance of this quaint village. Don’t forget to capture some photos of the scenic surroundings to cherish the memories.
- Outdoor Adventures: Dive into the outdoor offerings of Gudvangen and indulge your adventurous spirit. Whether you’re keen on hiking along scenic trails or kayaking on the tranquil waters of the fjord, there are plenty of opportunities to experience the natural beauty of the Norwegian countryside. Keep an eye out for wildlife along the way, as seals are known to frequent the area.
- Visit Bakka: Embark on a beautiful hiking excursion to Bakka, a nearby village known for its stunning vistas and charming atmosphere. As you trek through the wilderness, keep your eyes peeled for seals that may be spotted along the coastline. This memorable adventure promises breathtaking views and encounters with Norway’s diverse wildlife.
Make the most of your time in Gudvangen by immersing yourself in its natural splendour and embracing the sense of tranquillity that pervades this idyllic village.
Day 3: Flåm and Aurland
As you continue your journey, Flåm and Aurland beckon with their enchanting beauty, surrounded by cascading waterfalls and lush greenery. Here’s how to make the most of your visit to these charming towns:
- Scenic Drive: Set out on a picturesque drive from Gudvangen to Flåm and Aurland, revelling in the breathtaking scenery that unfolds along the way. As you wind through the mountains and valleys, you’ll be treated to panoramic views of cascading waterfalls, verdant forests, and serene fjords.
- Explore Flåm: Upon arrival in Flåm, take some time to explore this picturesque town nestled at the innermost corner of the Aurlandsfjord. Wander along the waterfront promenade, lined with colorful buildings and bustling with activity. Visit the Flåm Railway Museum to learn about the history of the famous Flåm Railway, one of the world’s steepest railway lines.
- Discover Aurland and the Mountain Viewpoint: Venture to the nearby village of Aurland, renowned for its stunning natural beauty and traditional Norwegian charm. Explore the quaint streets lined with wooden houses and immerse yourself in the peaceful atmosphere of rural Norway. Don’t miss the opportunity to visit the Aurland Shoe Factory, where you can learn about the art of traditional shoemaking. Additionally, hike or drive to a mountain viewpoint to witness panoramic vistas of the fjord and surrounding landscape.
- Marvel at Nature’s Wonders: Take time to marvel at the natural wonders that surround Flåm and Aurland. Admire the cascading waterfalls that dot the landscape, including the famous Kjosfossen waterfall along the Flåm Railway. Soak in the serene atmosphere of these idyllic towns, where the beauty of nature is truly on display.
Immerse yourself in the tranquil beauty of Flåm and Aurland, where cascading waterfalls and lush greenery create an unforgettable backdrop for your Norwegian adventure.
Day 4: Geiranger
Prepare for a day filled with awe-inspiring landscapes and natural wonders as you journey to Geiranger, situated at the end of the majestic Geirangerfjord. Here’s how to make the most of your time in this breathtaking destination:
- Scenic Drive: Embark on a scenic drive through Norway’s stunning landscapes to reach Geiranger. As you wind your way through the mountains and valleys, be prepared to be mesmerized by the beauty that surrounds you at every turn.
- Panoramic Viewpoints: Along the way, make sure to stop at viewpoints like Dalsnibba, Ørnesvingen, and Flydalsjuvet. From these vantage points, you’ll be treated to sweeping panoramic views of the Geirangerfjord, with its cascading waterfalls, lush greenery, and towering cliffs. Be sure to have your camera ready to capture these breathtaking scenes.
- Fjord Cruise: Once you arrive in Geiranger, immerse yourself in the beauty of the fjord with a cruise along its pristine waters. Feel the spray of cascading waterfalls as you sail past sheer cliffs rising from the depths of the fjord. Marvel at landmarks like the Seven Sisters waterfall and the imposing Eagle Bend as you gain a new perspective on this natural wonder.
- Exploration and Relaxation: After your fjord cruise, take some time to explore the charming village of Geiranger. Stroll along its picturesque streets, visit local shops and cafes, or simply relax and soak in the tranquility of this idyllic setting.
Day 4 in Geiranger promises to be a day of unforgettable experiences and breathtaking scenery, as you immerse yourself in the beauty of one of Norway’s most iconic destinations.
Day 5: Hardangerfjord
Prepare to be enchanted by the beauty of Hardangerfjord, renowned for its breathtaking landscapes and picturesque villages. Here’s how to spend your day exploring this stunning destination:
- Scenic Exploration: Begin your day with a scenic exploration of Hardangerfjord. Whether you choose to cruise along the fjord or drive along its shores, you’ll be treated to mesmerizing views of towering mountains, cascading waterfalls, and serene waters.
- Charming Towns: Make stops at charming towns along the fjord, such as Odda, Lofthus, or Ulvik. Explore their quaint streets, visit local markets, and immerse yourself in the rich culture and history of the region. Don’t forget to sample delicious local cuisine, including fresh seafood and traditional Norwegian dishes.
- Outdoor Adventures: Hardangerfjord offers a plethora of outdoor activities for nature enthusiasts. Hike along scenic trails, go kayaking or canoeing on the fjord, or simply find a peaceful spot to enjoy a picnic amidst nature’s splendor. Keep an eye out for wildlife such as eagles, seals, and otters that call this area home.
Day 6: Preikestolen
Get ready for an exhilarating adventure to Preikestolen, one of Norway’s most iconic natural landmarks. Here’s what to expect:
- Hiking Expedition: Lace up your hiking boots and embark on a journey to Preikestolen, also known as Pulpit Rock. The trail offers stunning views of the surrounding landscape as you ascend to the top of this towering cliff. Be prepared for a moderate hike that takes approximately 2-3 hours each way, depending on your pace.
- Panoramic Views: Once you reach the summit, you’ll be rewarded with panoramic views of the Lysefjord below and the surrounding mountains. Take your time to soak in the breathtaking scenery and capture unforgettable photos of this natural wonder.
- Admire the Landscape: Sit on the edge of the cliff and marvel at the sheer drop below, or find a peaceful spot to enjoy a picnic lunch amidst nature’s grandeur. Be sure to respect safety guidelines and stay away from the edge for your own safety.
Day 7: Return to Bergen
As your adventure comes to a close, return to Bergen for a final day of exploration and relaxation:
- Reflect on Your Journey: Take some time to reflect on the memories you’ve made during your epic adventure through Norway’s majestic fjords and charming towns. Reminisce about the breathtaking landscapes, friendly locals, and unforgettable experiences that have made your trip truly special.
- Final Stroll: Enjoy a stroll along the harborfront, soaking in the beauty of Bergen’s coastal setting one last time. Admire the colourful wooden buildings, bustling fish market, and panoramic views of the surrounding mountains.
- Departure: Bid farewell to Bergen as you head to the airport or train station for your journey home. Carry the memories of your Norwegian adventure with you and start planning your next epic trip to this beautiful country.
Safe travels and until we meet again in Norway’s majestic landscapes!